Wednesday, August 13, 2008

driving, day 5 - not much driving

Today we only had to go from Racine, WI to Chicago, IL.  We did that, parked at the north end of Grant Park and walked down to The Field Museum.  I really enjoyed this museum, and am very glad that I visited it.  It is waaay too big to see the whole thing in one day, or even appreciate very well in a week.  Well, maybe in a week you'd be pretty comfortable with it.

We saw only a fraction of their collections: ancient peoples of the Americas, native poeple of the northwest coast, ancient Egypt, Tibet, Reptiles, Gems and Meteorites, and inside Natural Disasters.  We paid for three temporary exhibits, on top of just regular admission, for a total of $33.  We only had time for one of the temporary exhibits, and could have easily just gone with the regular admission of $15, had we known there was so much to see.  Next time, I think I'll just get the $15 rate, and stick with that.

I truly enjoyed both the ancient Americas and Egypt collections.  It rekindled my interest in Egypt and reminded me of the amazing things that the Native Americans did.  Both of these collections had hundreds of actual artifacts, and not many replicas.

I could go on and on about all this stuff, but I'll just leave it with this: I'm looking for a haida art poster/print and something Egyptian (probably a replica of something I can hang on the wall).

After leaving the museum, we walked back to the car, paid our $20 for parking, and headed for U.S. Cellular Field to catch a White Sox game.  Unfortunately, it wasn't to be, the game sold out just a couple of minutes before we got to the ticket window.  Oh well.

So, we headed for dinner.  We got lost in the concrete canyons of downtown Chicago.  Eventually we found our way to Solerno's, which was actually a good place for being just a random pick with no guidance.  Better than the place in Madison.

That's all for now.

Here are some pictures:
road trippin' 2008 August 13

No comments: